Friday, December 31, 2010

Bubbly & Pear Cupcakes



Happy New Year!  I really wanted to wish everyone a happy and healthy 2011, so I baked some cupcakes!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart for tuning in and seeing what's cooking here at Impeccable Taste.  I am having a such great time cooking and creating for this blog!  Now I realize most of you won't get to try my cupcakes, but having this recipe in your arsenal for future use is even better that eating one lousy (but delicious) cupcake.  I have been making these cupcakes for years and they are really divine.  They are a little different, which I love, and they are moist and yummy and so festive.  If you have a reason to celebrate, you have a reason to make these!





Bubbly & Pear Cupcakes
Origin: Yum Sugar

Notes:  You can use any type of sparkling white wine, Prosecco or Champagne for this recipe.  I've used all types over the years from super cheap bottles to more expensive ones as I did this time (because I'm bringing them to a New Year's party).  They always turn out super moist (even if you over bake them a bit like I did this time)I usually make mini cupcakes with this recipe, but I've made regular sized cupcakes with good results too.  I altered the original icing recipe slightly to increase the quantity because I had over 75 mini cupcakes to frost.


Ingredients:

Cupcakes
2 3/4 cups of flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 firm but ripe pears, peeled, cored and grated (I used 5 really small pears, about 2 cups total grated)
1 cup champagne

Frosting
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened (1/2 cup butter)
8 oz cream cheese, softened
3 cups powdered sugar (sifted) (4-5 cups)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons champagne (4 tablespoons, just add a spoonful at a time until you get your desired consistency for frosting)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In mixer (or large bowl), cream butter and sugar until lightened and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, making sure each one is full incorporated before adding next.  Slowly add in flour mixture, 1/3 at a time, making sure it is fully incorporated but do not over mix.

Stir in vanilla and champagne.  Stir in pears.

Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.  Scoop an even amount of batter into each cup.  Fill to just below the top of the paper cups.

Bake for about 16 minutes (start checking at 12 minutes, the minis took 14 minutes).  They should be done when the cupcakes start to turn golden around the edges.  You can check them by inserting a toothpick into the middle of a cupcake and if it comes out clean with no goop attached, they're done.

Cool in the pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

Makes 24 regular cupcakes or up to 96 mini cupcakes.

To make the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter together. Add vanilla, sifted powdered sugar and champagne and beat until smooth (add icing sugar and Champagne alternately to desired consistency).

When cupcakes are completely cooled, top with frosting. I also added edible silver dust this time for the occasion.



No comments:

Post a Comment