Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Avocado Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing



I am already in need of a post holidays detox and we haven't even reached the worst (or best!) of it yet.  I've been knee deep in cookies and candy and Jalapeno Popper Dip and I'm starting to seriously miss my veggies.  This is a recipe I visit over and over again.  This dressing is so excellent, and matched with the crispy lettuce and creamy avocado, this salad sits near the top of my list of favorite things to eat.  Oh!  And it came from my ol' pal Gwyneth Paltrow and her awesome GOOP website.  I'm telling you, this woman really knows her food.  Enjoy this salad now, or tuck this recipe away for January 2nd, when no doubt you'll need it.




Avocado Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing
Origin: GOOP

Notes:  This recipe makes enough dressing for two salads.  The extra is really good with seared tuna.

Ingredients:

Dressing
1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 large shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon sweet white miso (I use a heaping tablespoon)
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seed oil
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
2 tablespoons water

Salad
1 head of baby gem lettuce (I used a mix of romaine and green leaf), roughly cut
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 avocado, diced (I use 1 full avocado)

Combine all the dressing ingredients in a blender, puree until combined and fairly smooth (the dressing will be thick).

Combine lettuce, red onion and avocado in a bowl and drizzle with plenty of dressing.

Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a main course, with dressing leftover.




No comments:

Post a Comment