Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dukkah



I’ve been fixated on food blogs for more than a few years now.  First it was food TV, then I discovered food magazines followed by food magazine websites...and then came food blogs.  This was my path to enlightenment.  Since discovering this life changing tool known as the food blog I’ve been trolling the internet, clicking on links, searching endlessly for those precious few blogs that keep me coming back for more. Those blogs that just get me…like we have the same taste.   
101 Cookbooks was the first blog that really blew my mind, it got me hooked.  I trust the authors of the blogs I love, and if they say something is fantastic...well, I just have to try it.  So when the author, Heidi Swanson said make Dukkah, I made Dukkah. It's a Middle Eastern mixture of toasted and ground, nuts, spices and seeds.  The idea is to take bread, dip it in olive oil and then into the Dukkah so it adheres.  The warm, spicy but not fiery mixture is intensely flavoured with a little crunch.  The flavours are surprising and addictive.  There are probably a million different versions of Dukkah, this is the first and only one I have tried.  I don't want to mess with something so good.







Dukkah
Origin: 101 Cookbooks, from this book

Notes:  I always double this recipe when I make it.  It lasts in an airtight container for up to a month.  I store mine in a mason jar in the fridge.  It is a great appetizer or snack with pita bread or a crusty loaf dipped in olive oil.  It would be a great addition to a Middle eastern platter with Hummus, Tabbouleh and pita.  Or you can use Dukkah for other things like crusting chicken or maybe a warm crusted goat cheese round.  The spice list might seem intimidating to some, but if you have a bulk spice resource (such as Bulk Barn around these parts) you can get it all in one spot.  I have a plastic container that I keep specifically for my little bags of Dukkah spices and nuts which I just pull it out when I want to make it.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup coriander seeds
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon dried mint leaves
1 teaspoon salt

Heat a heavy bottom, medium sized skillet over medium-high heat.  Toast each ingredient separately (except for mint and salt), tossing it around in the skillet for a couple minutes or until fragrant, taking care not to burn anything.  After toasting each ingredient one at a time, transfer to your food processor or a mortar and pestle to cool completely.  Once cooled, add mint and salt and pulse or crush until coarsely chopped.  Be careful not to turn the mixture into a paste, it should be like coarse sand with small pebbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment