Thursday, August 5, 2010

Go-to Dinner: Mexican Lasagna


Second post and I'm giving you a picture I took with my iphone. I am in the process of upgrading my camera so I can offer you pictures that back up the wonderful food I want to tell you about...It is my duty, I must do it justice.
So yesterday was busy. Hectic really. When life is demanding, and I don't have time to be inspired or creative, I go to my "go-to" dinners. I know they are going to taste great, they are full of nutritious ingredients, they are quick and I can make them with my eyes closed.
This recipe is just so easy. It is really tasty and looking down at the rich green sauce makes me feel virtuous.


Mexican Lasagna
Adapted from Martha Stewart, Everyday Food


Notes: I have made this recipe so many times and I know that I have improved it with my modifications (sorry Martha). So below is my adapted version. You can use whatever salsa you like. I've used fresh salsa, bottled, restaurant salsa, green sauce, it all works. Just pick one you love.

Ingedients:

1 cup fresh cilantro (leaves and some tender stalks are fine)

1 bunch scallions, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
coarse salt and ground pepper
10 ounces fresh baby spinach
a little olive oil for greasing your baking dish
8 (6-inch) flour tortillas (I use whole grain)
1 can (15.5 ounces) refried beans
1 can (19 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 ½ cups prepared salsa (mild or medium)
3 cups pepper Jack cheese, grated


Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a food processor, combine cilantro, scallions, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper with as much spinach as will fit; pulse, adding remaining spinach in batches, until chopped and combined.


Coat a 9 x 13 baking dish with olive oil. Lay 4 tortillas in bottom of dish (they will overlap slightly). Spread half of refried beans over tortillas. Layer with half of black beans, salsa, spinach mixture, and cheese; repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with cheese.


Bake until it is bubbling and the cheese is golden brown. 30-40 minutes. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Serve with sour cream and additional salsa.


Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment